Re: LZ: Usgard

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Usgard

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 15:23:58 -0700 Jimmy Mårdell <mja@algonet.se> writes:
>Bah... it amazes me that so many people can be so stupid (sorry, but
that's
>true) to not understand the beauty of Usgard. Put on the small Usgard
>backup, run it once, delete the game (bombswep) and the patchrom file.
>You will now have an almost COMPLETE installation of Usgard that will
run
>practically EVERY program, and it takes 4,6k string memory. You
>now have about 19k left (umm... can someone explain why there is not
>23k left!?!? I though the 85 had 28k user ram). You now have 19k free
(should
>be 23k) for games, USGARD games (they will come, that's a promise). If
those
>games were converted to ZShell, they would most likely not fit on the
calc!

I think it's sort of ignorant to say I'm stupid for not understanding
Usgard's beauty.  I never once said it wasn't beautiful.  I believe it is
great, almighty, and cool.  The new features just plain out rock my face.
 Everything of the sort.  I merely said it tended to gobble up my
prescious memory.  What you said about the shell is true, although it
does exclude a few libraries (most notably the explore library, which I
feel is going to be a big hype for some reason, with dread).  Usgard is
great.

One --little-- thing: any way to hide the shell from the shell?  So the
Simple Shell doesn't show the Simple Shell in the list of programs?  That
would be just so peachy keen.

>If you have mostly ZShell games, you choose ZShell of course (or CShell
or
>whatever), but when Usgard cames start coming, they will dominate.

This is true.  Perhaps that is why I think Usgard is such a "hog".  Most
games haven't yet been made to use it's space saving features, which,
when they are, will make the extra space worthwhile.

>Usgard of course. If all games in the future were made for Usgard, there
>would be more games (because it's easier to program using libraries &
>relocation), you could have more games on the calc at the same time, and
>you would have cooler games. I intend to develop lots of stuff for
Usgard
>this summer, to make it the no 1 shell. I will not, and I hope no other
>Usgard programmer neither will, convert my games to ZShell.

Most likely I will do Usgard.  Although I can't say relocation and
libraries make things much easier, they do trim down on size and speed
some things up.  My game Darkness will almost definately be a Usgard
specific title, soley because there are some pretty big differences
between coding Usgard and ZShell, and converting would take away oh so
precious time.

Please don't get the idea I was bashing Usgard.  I should have mentioned
I did not have much time to poke around with it, and had intended on
seeing how small I could make an installation that is very operable.

Jim Reardon
jim.reardon@juno.com
Viva La Mexico
http://pages.prodigy.net/eviljim/
We all come into the world the same way - naked, screaming, covered in
blood.  But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have
to end there.

Follow-Ups: References: