LZ: On-calc compiler

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ: On-calc compiler

I know this has been discussed before, but now that the expander is a reality,
I thought we may want to discuss it again.  Now I'm not extremely knowledgable
when it comes to assembly programming, but I have some ideas on how we could
make it work.  Can someone give me some help here...

I'm assuming that most developers got their hands on an expander.  I think I'm
right, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, here's what I have in mind.

All that's on the calc is the shell, the expander software (or a sized down
developer version), a calc version of TASM or some other assembler, and
something to make it into a string.  (I have no idea how big all of this would
be so please inform me if I'm way off.)  Then, you just edit a normal program,
but you write in asm, not basic.  When you're ready to test it, you run the
expander software and send it to the expander in the last block (i.e block 255
or whatever).  Then it's compiled and run.  If it freezes your calc, you can
get a backup from a friend, who has the expander software (not necessarily
because he has an expander, just the software for you).  Then you can pull the
compiler and source off teh expander and try again.  This is why a developer
version of the expander software would be nice.  It could assign certain blocks
for certain things, and just get those every time so you don't have to hunt
through.

Anyway, I'm probably way off in terms of size reqs here, but it was just an
idea.  Let me know if it's even remotely possible....

Marcus Watkins
kruzw@cris.com