Re: LZ: TI-86 Cross-compile toolkit

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Henrik Edlund wrote:

> Open letter to Usgard developers and other shell programmers.
>
> How hard would it be to make your shell for the 85 to support the 86.
> Probably it can't be done like when supporting different ROM version
> because the memory addressing is different. The 85 addressing could not
> support 96k... A recompile of each program with any new 86
> addressing/etc must be done. So authors of shells: Would it be posssible
> to make some sort of cross-compile toolkit. That would be really great
> because eventually the 86 will take over the 85 place and when buying a
> calc today one choses an 86 over the 85 because the price difference is
> only $20USD and the 86 has some new functions/more memory/etc and still
> supports linking with 85's and other basic 85 functions.

I have not seen a ti86, but i think it is using the same controller as
the
ti82/ti83. and because of the display controller this would only be
possible
if you always used some libraries for graphics. Otherwise all code which
uses the
display will have to be rewritten.

Besides that the display controller is slower, so you would also have to
change
delays. and all program communication with the screen during interrupts
would
have to be changed to (it is very hard/impossible to restore the state
of the
display controller after and interrupt).

Dines

--

Dines Justesen
Email: dines@post1.com or