Re: LZ: Well.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Well.

According to Adam Geitgey:
>I really doubt Windows 1.0 had any sort of dream of dlls since it was
>just a fancy dos menu program.  They came much later on.  Besides, they
>can't even get the Remember Password button to work in dial up
>networking so I really wouldn't trust them to implement anything
>successfully.

Beside the point.  I was merely implying that libraries open a lot of
doorways but are very hard to implement correctly.  It's humor.  Sort of.
I always think of Win95 as a good joke. ;-D

( no more comments on this, this is about ZShell/Usgard/whatever after all. )

>I for one would like to see a shell that supports relocation and is not
>one standard.  We need a small shell (cshell size) with relocation (but
>not neccessarly libraries because there is no really need - slows down
>stuff like pixel putting and the amount of compiled code reused is
>really insignificant.  I thank they are sometimes just crutches for less
>expirenced people).

I don't necessarily agree with this.  I do admit that after viewing the page,
there are already perhaps quite a few unneeded libraries.  When libraries
were just being thought of in shell design, I posed on this list that all
the libs needed were: one lib with pixel-plotting, sprite routines, and image
recall (ZCP) for BW, another for grayscale, and a lib for (maybe) general
linkport routines.  And MAYBE one for sound.  IMHO that's all thats needed.

>I don't really think that usgard is too complicated for anyone.  I don't
>think you can really call it a poweruser program or anything.  It is a
>poorly written, larger then neccesary and very buggy shell.  Much more a
>kin to Win95 then a powerful OS like Linux or os/2.

I mean to say that the majority still uses ZShell.  The average person using
our games are bored teenagers like ourselves who want to have some fun during
math class :-) They don't want to mess with a bunch of libraries, they want to
play games.  This is why CShell or ZS is good for such people - nothing but
the invisible shell and the games, pure and simple.

For people who want better than a math class-quality game (nice term, eh?)
we can admittedly use Usgard and libs, and get games smaller and slightly
faster.  But most average users don't want to bother with it because it's
too easy to lose track of needed libraries, and such. In my school, only 4
people have links when you count the teachers ( and that includes both
graphlinks and homemade cables. )

>Don't you just like those nice people at hotmail?

I don't use hotmail.  The guy you replyed from (not me) uses it.  It's
not really that bad, just the interface is annoying, or so I'm told.

Ryan J. Myers ( Webmaster )      rmyers@inetarena.com (ICQ UIN 1473314)
Portland, Oregon ( US )          http://boris.inetarena.com/
"Nolite tes bastardes carborundum." - Margaret Atwood
"C> REALITY.SYS is corrupt, reboot universe? (Y|N)" - Anonymous
The contents of this email are my own opinions and do not represent the
positions of my employers or any of their subsidiaries unless specifically
stated as such.