RE: A85: Zshell

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A85: Zshell

Have you tried another Backup file? It could be the one you're trying to load
has become corrupted. A corrupted backup file would definitely give you a
transmission error.

[Jan Zumwalt]  You were correct! The Zshell file was corrupt. I downloaded
from another source and the problem went away. Thanks!

You might try this: reset your calculator, then send a backup of it to the
PC. Now, try sending this clean backup back to the calculator. If this works,
you know it's the ZShell file you tried to send; if not, I don't know what
your problem is.

Good luck,
Nathaniel Talbott
Stranger Software
<:((><

P.S. Are you the one who said they were a professional Z80 programmer? If so,
what exactly do you (or did you) do? Just wondering...

[Jan Zumwalt]  My first programming experience was on a home made S-100
with a Z-80 card, I then bought a Exidy Sourcer (Z-80) for Z-80 development.
It came with a really good debugger and editor but had no disk drive support.
A couple years in CPM too - nearly all Z-80 work. I then built several
micro-controllers around the Z-80.

I have not touched any of this since 1983-4 but I did save all my routines
and books. Last year I bought about five Z-80's hoping to integrate them
into my home alarm and weather station. I found time to breadboard one
them last winter but got side tracked.  A week ago, a friend of mine
helping me build my new home showed me his TI-85 calculator on a lunch
break. I was so impressed that I bought one the next day. When I read
it had the Z-80 chip I just about went bananas.

I have spent several days searching the net but have found zero info on
asm programming for it. If I can't find a good asm FAQ I will write one.
The Z-80 "was" the best CPU for it's time and a real joy to write asm
compared to the 6502 and other Motorola stuff I dealt with.

The only disadvantage I remember was the Z-80 would only perform certain
operations with certain registers so I always programmed it backwards.
By that I mean I would decide were I wanted the result and work with
the operations in reverse order. I found that if you arbitrarily started
with a operation and worked forward, you would frequently end up
with the result in a un-wanted register and would take quite a bit of
extra shuffling to get it where it was needed.

I am impressed by TI.Calc.Org and hope they will support an asm routine
section. If not, I will put it on my web.

Jan Zumwalt
Warning