A85: My 2 cents on all the new shells

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: My 2 cents on all the new shells

There is only one way to get people to use your new shell. Make it programmer
friendly. But why? you ask. The people who play the games choose the shell
they want to use, not the programmer. The reason is that if more good
programmers support a shell, than that shell will have the best games. And as
a user, you want the best games, right?

When the smoke clears, Usgard will be all over the other shells (the ones
that I have seen anyway). Not only does Usgard have the best programmer
support (IMHO) it is zshell compatible, which is a must. Now Usgard has games
which are Usgard only, and Zshell games.

So if you want to make a new shell, don't put a whole lot of features for the
user. First, provide for the programmer, because we call the shots. Second,
don't be too worried about saving 1K or 2K. Who cares about a few bytes here
and there?! I for one have never had a problem with having too little memory.
And if you have a really great idea, go for it. But if you want to make
another shell with features that no one gives a shit about, then don't waste
your time. As someone else once said, we need to stop programming shells and
start programming games.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

--
Terry Peng