Re: LZ: Floppy Drive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Floppy Drive

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Mel Tsai wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Sep 1996 06:28:27 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:
>
> >A lot of people have a problem learning how to use the 48.
> >Those who can, do.  Those who can't get a 92.  :)
> >
> >Barry
>
> Hold on there, let's NOT get into that debate.  I new how to do
> everything with RPN, but frankly I just hated it.  Why learn Swahili
> when you can use English instead?  Even most HP users realize that the
> '92 is much more powerful.  Except for expandability, the '92 kicks
> the 48's ass in every other respect...

Notice the smiley.  :)  I just couldn't resist.

However, you are mistaken that 48 users think the 92 is
more powerful.  Perhaps some do but read comp.sys.hp48
and I think you'll agree that most 48 users think the 48
is the more powerful calculator for engineering, if not
for education.  I can't tell you why.  I'm not an engineer.
I'm just reporting what I read.

I really don't much care what calc people use.  For what I
do, multibase arithmetic mostly, the 48 is great.  I have
an 85, two in fact, and could use them but I'm comfy with
the 48 and it does what I want.

My real use for a calculator is as a toy to play with, just
me and my assembler.  I really enjoy working on the Z80. I'm
less fond of the 68000.  (I've done more 68000 programming
over the years by far).  I also enjoy working on the Saturn.
I'm talking about what I like, not what's practical, now.
I realize the 68000 is the more powerful cpu but I'm talking
about fun.

For working in assembly, the 48 is as close to perfect as you
can get.  The Jazz development system is one of the most
sophisticated and well thought out and elegant tools I've ever
worked with, and it fits comfortably on a ram card.  It has
a great assembler, disassembler, editor, 2 debuggers, and a
dozen or 2 other tools all in one library.  MSVC++ is a lot
bigger and a lot more powerful, but it isn't nearly as nice.

The 85 or 83, (and soon the 92), on the other hand, are more
unexplored and that makes them fun.  Also there's the fact
that I like the Z80.

So, with all that, I'm not likely to get into a debate about
which is the best calculator.  I don't really care.

Wait!  I just changed my mind.  I do know what the best calc
is.  It's the Radio Shack EC-4016.  Mine is about 15 years
old now, maybe older.  It has every possible function a
programmer can use.  It was sold as a programmer's calculator.
It's only about 1/16" thick and generally small.  It has a
membrane keyboard that's perfectly responsive.  The LCD display
is very sharp and easy to read.  And it doesn't use batteries
but still works great in low light conditions.

Ha!  Top that one, you HP or TI bigots.

Barry