LZ: I think I have a definite plan for memory... I think...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ: I think I have a definite plan for memory... I think...

Hello all again...

I've decided not to pursue tape recording because it's too error-prone and
microwire because it's too much of a pain to expand IO from link ports
unless you use I2C IO expanders, which don't work too well for these purposes.

In the end, I'm going to just try using EEPROM's with I2C built into them.
The schematics I have now ( testing as soon as the last chip arrives ) will
give me 16KBytes extra... do we really need 1MB?  And it'd be slow as hell
to access one byte out of 1MB on 2 wires, even 500KBytes, PC's need 72 wires
to do 2MB :)

So, as soon as I finish testing the EEPROMs ( the ZS program is half-written
as well ), I will release the schematics online.  I'm using 16KBit EEPROMS
from National with I2C support ( 16KBit * 8 chips max per bus = 16KBytes )

Considering you only need 2K to hold a screen, you could run full-screen
video from a PC through the linkport using the EEPROMs as a buffer... TV
tuner anyone!
( I know it will never happen but it's fun to dream of :) )

I will let you all know,

Ryan Myers ( rmyers@teleport.com )
http://www.teleport.com/~rmyers/
"Canthus" on DARKWORLD / Twisted Fate