> > From: SAM STAUFFER <sam.stauffer@aquila.com>
> > To: list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org
> > Subject: Re: LZ: Compression program (and quest
> > Date: Wednesday, September 11, 1996 4:49 PM
> >
> > -> >This method is known as the Lempel-Ziv algorithm.
> > ->
> > -> That is interesting, thanks.  But how efficient is that with data
> > -> files that are more random?
> >
> > It's patended.
>
> I don't think it is patented anymore.  It was invented in 1977 which was 19
> years ago.  The patent therfore expired a couple years ago.  It is now
> public domain.  However, I am rethinking and I thought that for  ZCompress
> or whatever the name will be, a arithmetic compression algorithm would work
> best.  Although slow, it provides for excellent compression, which is the
> main reason for the compressor.

It might be copyrighted then.  I know that lasts longer.  In any
case the rights are definitly owned by Unisys.  They won a court
case against Compuserve about a year or 2 ago because they used
it in their GIF format.  They decided to be real easy about
pricing but they'll sue anybody that uses it without permission
in a minute.  They have to to continue to protect their rights.
I wouldn't consider using LZW without their permission, but I
don't think it'll be that difficult to get permission.

Barry