>> From: SAM STAUFFER <sam.stauffer@aquila.com>
>> To: list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org
>> Subject: Re: LZ: Compression program (and quest
>> Date: Wednesday, September 11, 1996 4:49 PM
>>
>> -> >This method is known as the Lempel-Ziv algorithm.
>> ->
>> -> That is interesting, thanks.  But how efficient is that with data
>> -> files that are more random?
>>
>> It's patended.
>
>I don't think it is patented anymore.  It was invented in 1977 which was 19
>years ago.  The patent therfore expired a couple years ago.  It is now
>public domain.  However, I am rethinking and I thought that for  ZCompress
>or whatever the name will be, a arithmetic compression algorithm would work
>best.  Although slow, it provides for excellent compression, which is the
>main reason for the compressor.

Remember, the compressor will be on the computer.  Therefore I doubt it will
be too slow.  Then again, the decompressor will be slow too.  I don't know
about the rest of you, but I would take a slow and high compression over a
fast and low compression any day.

--	Scott Rein
	srein@rain.org

Follow-Ups: References: