Re: LZ: cassette tapes

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: cassette tapes

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Ryan Myers wrote:

> I'm personally interested in this cassette tape idea because of a personal
> idea... playing back blips of 1s/0s straight to videomem... if this worked.
> Hmm, if we could write a program to read bits from tape and put them
> together into bytes which would be placed in graphmem, it would be 8192 bits
> ( 1024 bytes ).  If we can get a high enough transfer rate... ??? ( not much
> guesswork here )
> ( BTW: 15360 bits/second transfer = 15 f/s fullscreen )

I agree it would be pretty cool, but there are some problems:

1)  It's not useful.  It will stay on your calc as long as PicView did.
2)  Where are you going to get the pictures for the video?  That is quite an
    obstacle.
3)  15fps isn't possible.  The best would be around 9, maybe 5 if the mono
    idea takes off (works).

I agree it would be pretty cool, but not worth the time if it would even work.

                              The nice thing about Windows is that it does
Tony Lieuallen                     not just crash...  It displays a dialog
marvin@mars.superlink.net               box and lets you press 'OK' first.
http://mars.superlink.net/marvin/home