Re: LZ: New idea for compression program!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Ben Shakal wrote:

> I think your self extraction engine idea is great.  I'm not sure, but it
> seems to me that even with that method you will need to change PROGRAM_ADDR.
> This is because the decompressed program will be run from a different place
> in memory than the original self-extracting program (this might be different
> with yours).  Therefore the new, temporary, decompressed program will only
> be able to access those variables that remain uncompressed in the actual
> compressed string.  I think (but again, I'm not sure) that you will need to
> update PROGRAM_ADDR to point to the beginning of the temporary string in
> memory, unless you can get ZShell to do this for you.  Just out of
> curiosity, what happens if you run a Caves or Scrolls level when you don't
> have the engine?  I suppose the compressed programs can do whatever those
> levels do in that case.

A workaround for PROGRAM_ADDR changing:

decompress the program, call it from within the self-extracting one, and when
the extracted one ends, then delete it, then return to zshell.

                              The nice thing about Windows is that it does
Tony Lieuallen                     not just crash...  It displays a dialog
marvin@mars.superlink.net               box and lets you press 'OK' first.
http://mars.superlink.net/marvin/home