Re: LZ: New idea for compression program!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 03:30 PM 9/10/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At 06:22 PM 9/9/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>Oops, I forgot to sign my name.  I'm the one writing the decompressor.
>
>A little conceited huh?  I was writing it in the first place and you
>come in and all of a sudden say that you will be writing it.  Hmm...
>
>--	Scott Rein
>	srein@rain.org

What I meant is on the long, rambling letter about compression in which I
named some specifics about a possible decompressor program, I forgot my
name.  You said you were going to write something so programs could
self-decompress themselves.  I was thinking about what Barry said about the
code that would need to be repeated in each program.  So, I am writing a
very simple shell which runs from within ZShell, to compare with yours and
then we can compare them.  Sorry, though, about making it look like I am
taking over your project.  I was under the impression that you were waiting
for help or something.  In fact, the one I am working on doesn't actually do
any compression.  It fakes it, because I don't have any good compression
routines.  Didn't you say you had some?  If so, then maybe we could work
together, and you write the decompressor for the calc, and I write the
compressor.  I still do not fully understand your plan for self-extracting
programs.  Could you please explain it?  How do programs access their
uncompressed data?  What about their compressed data?  This is a problem I
have been working on, and might have figured it out, but I'm not sure.  Thanks!

When I finish the decompression shell :-) (which should be in a few days) I
will send you the source if you like.

Ben
shakal@ns.net