LZ: Possibility of RAM Expansion

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ: Possibility of RAM Expansion

I was quite intrigued by Ed Plese's and Per Finander's use of the I2C bus (
A data bus format that can operate multiple IC's on a 2-wire bus ) to run
the temperature sensor and other I2C-compatible circuits.

While ordering the sample temperature chip from National Semiconductor (
www.national.com ) to build Ed's temperature sensor, I also happened to find
an available sample for a I2C-compatible EEPROM chip.  I'm personally going
to try creating a plug-in memory bank through the link port by using
Finander's I2C routines.

The chip, in specific, is a NM24C17L 16K-Bit Serial EEPROM with Write
Protect and I2C Synchronous 2-Wire Bus support.  However, each bus can only
address a maximum of 16K bits, the size of one chip.  If I could do multiple
buses using digital or DC switches, that might work... but I'm not sure.

If anyone with more experience in I2C ( Finander? ) could help me, this
would be a great step in the right direction.  I personally think that using
either EEPROM bays with I2C or recording modulated audio is the way to go.
The catch with audio, though, is both finding a way to record this without
change from player to player, and the writing of such a program.

My thanks for listening to this LOOONG ramble :),
Ryan Myers ( rmyers@teleport.com )
http://www.teleport.com/~rmyers/
"Canthus" on DARKWORLD