Re: LZ: Compression program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Compression program

On Sun, 8 Sep 1996 08:18:33 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:
>On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Scott J. Rein wrote:
>
>> >about the loss of highscores...
>> >what if it went this way?
>> >
>> >1.uncompress
>> >2.run
>> >3.copy the highscores to a separate var.
>> >4.delete uncompressed
>> >5.somehow edit the compressed file(and add the highscores) =20
>> >6.when the zipped has been highscore edited, delete the high score =
vars
>> >7.return to zshell menu
>> >
>> >this might not be possible and also there would have to be a standard
>> >highscore keeper. it also might take a while but, if it's possible, =
it
>> >might be nice.=20
>>=20
>> Actually it might not be too hard if the decompression program =
searches
>> for any new variables and simply compresses them back into the =
archive.
>> Unfortunately, for this or any other way of keeping high scores, the
>> compression algorithm must be on the calculator.
>=20
>You could write the compressor so that it leaves the first
>10 bytes of the program alone.  The first 2 or 3 bytes of a
>program would have to be a jump, but after that you would
>have room for high scores.  I'm just picking the number 10
>out of the air.  That would allow 7 or 8 bytes that could
>be modified.  Enough for high score and level for one person.
>
>Barry

I do not understand-- why could you not just compress the high score
too

1. have all programs on calc compresses
2. when you run a program it decomresses and deletes origional
compressed file
3. when you exit a program it recomresses and deletes uncompressed
file

Eric Linenberg
elinenbe@engin.umich.edu

for information on EVERYBODY from High School go to
http://www.umich.edu/~elinenbe/

im that kid in the corner=20
all fucked up and i wanna so im gonna=20
take a piece of the pie why not im not quittin
think im gonna change up my style just to fit in