Re: LZ: a zipping utility

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: a zipping utility

On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Martin Hock wrote:

> In case anyone's interested, the full article is available at:
> http://web2.airmail.net/markn/articles/bwt/bwt.htm
> Actually, the Burrows-Wheeler Transform algorithm mentioned in the Journal
> just sorts the data to prepare it for compression; it doesn't actually
> compress by itself.  When coupled with a good compression algorithm, it can
> compress things smaller than gzip normally can.  However, a sorting as well
> as a compression algorithm on the calculator would probably take up more
> space than it's worth.

Okay.  I think that this has been discussed a lot, and decided that it will be
benefitial to a lot of people.  Since the compression would most likely be on
the computer, it would be very likely that adding in this BWT later wouldn't be
too hard.  I hope whoever is gonna do this eventually will do it soon.
Hmm.  Maybe this is a sugestion to add in ZShell 5.0.  Make it do the
uncompression automatically, then delete the program.   That would be cool.

                              The nice thing about Windows is that it does
Tony Lieuallen                     not just crash...  It displays a dialog
marvin@mars.superlink.net               box and lets you press 'OK' first.
http://mars.superlink.net/marvin/home