Re: LZ: a zipping utility

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: a zipping utility

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Andrew Haninger wrote:

> then, the unzipper would need a zipper for when you weren't using the
> program. or would this unzip the program before loading it into RAM? that
> might make it a little slow but, i can wait a few secs if i'm doing it to
> save a lot of memory. also, would the unzipper be very big? that would be
> the problem... there's no use in even making it if it's going to take up
> all the wonderful space you "saved"!

You could store the zipped program on your calc and unzip it to
run it.  Unzipping wouldnt delete the zipped version so you wouldn't
have to zip it again when youre done.

As for the zipping program being too big,  I don't think I'd want
to give up the space for it, personally.  I don't keep many
programs on my calc.  But others might want to.  My suggestion,
if someone was considering writing something like this, would
be to do a little more formal poll of this listserve and see
how manypeople would really use it.  I was just enjoying figuring
out solutions to the problem of whether it could be made
practical.

Barry