Re: LZ: a zipping utility

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: a zipping utility

s_wrobleski@foma.wsc.mass.edu wrote:

> Unzipping wouldnt be bad. Zipping would be a pain. To unzip, all we have to do
> is make it so that when it saw an escape code (say like an ascii 0) it would
> take the next number after that and go to a table. Then from the table, it
> would get the offsett in the string for the macro and the length. Unzipping
> would merely make another string (I dont think thats a prob, cuz if you make
> a new string, youre not shifting strings around memory)

It's not that easy to zip and unzip things if you want good compression, but
yes, unzipping is much much easier. For example, if you want to unzip a Huffman
code, it's not that easy in assembler. I found about 40-50 pages on the web
about compressing, but haven't got time to read it through. If you want to know
if it's worth compressing programs, just pkzip the 85s on the computer.

<pre>
--
Real name: Jimmy Mårdell
Email....: mailto:mja@algonet.se

"Strap me down with disillusion
  Tie me up in lifelines
   Nothing stops my thoughts from breeding
    Nothing's stopping my mind" - Leather Strip
</pre>