Re: LZ: a zipping utility

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: a zipping utility

CTurner142@aol.com wrote:

> << >  ok I am the guy that started this whole big talk about the zipping
> utility.
>  >I said that there would have to be an unziping utility and the whole point
>  >the this program was to compile some this so it would take up less space on
>  >the calc say you were writting something on the calc for a class or if you
>  >had a zshell program that you wanted to save so someone else could send you
>  >something else there you go a zipping and unzipping utility would be a good
>  >idea for losts of things. not just for the fun of it. and it would not be a
>  >problem with zipping a file down because of mem. the program would just
> have
>  >to have a option on it stating if th original file would be replaced with
> the
>  >new one or if you still wanted the origanl file still unzipped but the
> zipped
>  >file on your calc at the same time.  i don't want this program to have to
> do
>  >something with the computer becasue I think of the TI-85 as its own
> computer
>  >because it has alot of it's own features. yes you need the computer to
>  >compile the asm code but after that the program should take car of the
> rest,
>  >not to talk with the computer.
>  >

>  Wow... what a mouth full... and who is going to write it?  You? >>
>
> OK this is the same guy, yes again.
>
> I am not wanting to be rude but right now i am workink on a program right now
> and i just wanted feedback on what you guys would think about the zipping
> utillity. it was just a thought. but if anybody would like to help me right
> it( someone that know alot about zshell programming) then tell me!
>
> carl Turner
> cturner142@aol.com
i personally think that a zipping program on the ti-85 is a bad idea. my
reason for this is because even if a 4k program could be compressed to
half its size you would need 4k of memory free on your calculator to run
it because it first has to be decompressed. therefore that program will
take up 6k of memory when you want to run it. also another reason why
this is a bad idea, the compression ratio will most likely not be 50%,
it will probably by more like 10% - 15% because assembler files are
already in a way compressed therefore making the compressed program's
file size would be approx. 3.5k saving approx. 500bytes. also the
decompression program would most likely be to infeasable to have on the
calculator since it would most likely be at least 10k to 15k(this figure
is based on the PC file PKUNZIP.EXE(version is 2.04g registered which is
approx 28k in size) and that would leave enough room for 1 or 2
programs. also note this message is not to stop research into a such
program, it is just here to state my opinion but may also change the
opinions of the people out there. also note that at one time i wanted a
stacker like program for the ti-85 but i eventually realized that it
would be to infeasable because of the memory restrictions of the TI-85.
PCoMP
Visit Maximus Productions home page at: http://www.ntsource.com/~pcomp