Re: LZ: Re: blue boxes

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Re: blue boxes

> Actually, they work on all phones. all you do is dial into at&t. i believe
> you dial something like 10222-1-???-????. the ???????'s are the number your
> dialling. however, i'm not sure (i've uhmm... nver tried it.)
> -greg
>

> ----------
> > From: SAM STAUFFER <sam.stauffer@aquila.com>
> > To: list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org
> > Subject: LZ: blue boxes
> > Date: Thursday, October 24, 1996 1:18 AM
> >
> > -> aren't blue boxes(ahem) illegal? and I'm confused. how do they work.
> > -> i mean, i know that they allow you to make free phone calls and stuff
> > -> but, other than that, how do they work?
> >
> > They're not illegal to have, but are to use. They don't work anymore, (
> > Well they do in some places that haven't upgraded the phone systems )

I know this is off topic but I wanna go ahead and clear this up:

Blue boxes generate tones which seize control of a phone trunk and essentially
allow you to make free calls. They are quite illegal to use, but they don't
work except in wierd forgien countries which havn't upgraded to digital
switching yet.

Red boxes simulate the tones produced by public payphones when you drop your
money in. The tones are beeps of 2200 Hz + 1700 Hz. Nickle = 1 beep for 66
milliseconds. Dime = 2 beeps, each 66 milliseconds with a 66 millisecond pause
between beeps. Quarter = 5 beeps, each 33 milliseconds with a 33 millisecond
pause between beeps.

If a ZShell program can be written to do this (I'm sure it can, the tones are
fairly simple) thats cool, gimme a copy. =)