LZ: RAM EXPANDER IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT -- Please Read.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ: RAM EXPANDER IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT -- Please Read.

I know that many of you are anxious to see the final schematics, but
I'm sorry but I've made some major developments, and I'll have to
delay even further.

I figured out the problem with my simplified design.  I now know that
the expander can be built with a single chip in addition to the serial
flash chip, and the board footprint will be around 1/2.5".

Like I mentioned in the last message, this base design suffers from a
race problem in which the setup times cannot be met.  However, I fixed
it by making it asynchronous using an RC circuit.  I haven't actually
built the final "one chip" version yet, but there's absolutely no
reason why it won't work.

This brings me to the point of this message.  ****I have now
discovered a totally new way to synchronously design the circuit!****
This has hundreds of implications for the expander.  First, this means
that there's now almost no limit to the transferr rate.  The
difference between the asynchronous and synchronous version will be
only 1 or 2 kilobytes per second, but that's only on a "regular"
TI-85.  On a turboed calculator, I forsee huge transferr rates,
probably on the order of 6-9 kilobytes per second.  The rate could be
double that on the TI-92, and if you've got an enhanced parallel port
(EPP), quadruple that with a direct expander-computer link.

Another implication of the synchronous design is that this allows for
an I/O expansion with absolutely no loss in speed.  To this you could
even add a second serial flash chip!  This means that you can have a
total of 2 megabytes of storage, each of which is accessed at the
exact same speed, **DOUBLING** the effective transfer rate!  Instead
of a second serial flash chip you could add all sorts of other stuff,
like an integrated RS-232 serial port, a matrix keyboard, etc, and you
will be able to access them simultaneously with the serial flash chip
(again, with no loss in speed).  A serial port will be a definite
plus, because then (with appropriate software) very large terminal
programs could be written, maybe even a TCP/IP winsock so don't have
to use Lynx!

This design is completely scalable, and with circuit modification you
can add an UNLIMITED amount of Serial Flash chips!  It will be VERY
easy to scale the design up to 4 memory chips (or 1 chip with 3 ports,
2 chips with 2 ports, etc).  Past 4 megs, though, the logic gets
exponentially more complicated, so this will only be for die-hard
users who want to do some extreme calculating.  Accessing 4 chips
simultaneously will result in a small loss of speed, but it probably
won't be noticeable.

I haven't built nor tested the synchronous design, but I've learned so
much about this stuff that I'm sure it will work (I'll have the
prototype done by this weekend).  It will be only slightly more
complicated (I estimate about 3-4 logic chips for 2 megs), but the
advantages make it worth it.

As soon as I'm done building and testing all the versions, I'll
release two schematics.  The "Expander Lite" will be my original
design.  It will pretty simple to build, comsume very little power,
and be relatively small and cheap.  Like I said, the disadvantage of
this will be that there's a definite ceiling to the transferr rate,
and there's no room for I/O expansion. =20

I'm calling the synchronous design the "Expander MT" (guess what MT
stands for...!).  It will have a more complicated PC board, cost about
$30 to $50 more (if you want two megs total), and consume more power.
If you want you can omit the I/O port and just have a single flash
chip.  The absolute upper limit to the transferr rate will be around
50-60 kilobytes per second, but only the computer-expander link will
even get close to this rate. This is best for people who value speed,
power and expandability.

The two versions will be accessed differently, so there will have to
be two versions of the software (or I can just make it an option in
the software to select your version of Expander).

Sorry about all the delays in the schematics, but I believe they're
necessary so that we can all get the best design possible.  I've been
getting an extreme amount of homework lately, so that's why
development has been slow.  Starting next week, however, I can devote
a lot more time to this.  If you're absolutely dying to find out
exactly how I'm acheiving the synchronous design, email me, but the
details will probably just confuse most people.

-Mel

<pre>
--
The TI Memory Expansion Homepage