Re: LZ: Questions about RAM Extender

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Questions about RAM Extender

Are you going to implimet the computer -> extender link now into the
schematics or do we have to also wait for this (though it would be better
if you just put it in for us)?

"Honors Master PhD of Idea Engineering"
-= Zenon@bbs.nexes.com =-

----------
: From: list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org
: To: Zenon
: Subject: Re: LZ: Questions about RAM Extender
: Date: October 14, 1996 9:57 PM
:
:
: On Mon, 14 Oct 1996 17:56:37 -0700, you wrote:
: >I have a couple questions about the RAM Extender. First of all, I know
that
: >getting the data transfer rates of the calculator and the expander to be
: >close was difficult. Will this be different or a problem on "turboed"
: >calculators, where they are 3,3.5 or any number of values as fast as
normal?
: >
:
: Turboed calculators shouldn't be a problem, but they may need a slight
: modification to the send and receive routines.  I'll probably have a
: "Turbo Calc" option in the software.
:
: >My other question is how are programs going to be put in the RAM
Extender?
: >Will a custom link program be written, or will the one on the 85 be
used?
: >Will this limit to transferring data in 28K or so segments? I observed
that
: >with the regular transfer program on the 85 that sometimes it prints
"Done"
: >after it is finished, like a program. This makes it possible that the
link
: >is actually a self-run program in the 85. If this is true and we can get
: >hold of it and convert it to put items into the RAM Extender correctly,
: >lot of problems would be solved.
: >
:
: It will use a custom link program, and (for now) you will be limited
: to sending 28k at a time (like you said).  However, in the future I
: plan on designing a direct computer-to-expander link which will allow
: unlimited size transferrs (this should be just a simple parallel port
: connection, but the ti-parallel link won't work here).
:
: >Also, how will programs be interfaced in the RAM Extender. Will it have
: >catalog of the data it currently has and addresses at which it can be
: >found? Will it support only raw data, or specific types, which would
open
: >up possibilities of different file types like programs, sounds and
: >graphics.
: >
:
: Right now I'm planning on supporting program files, strings, and a
: user defined "Raw Data" format for whatever you want.  Depending on a
: number of factors, some or all of the other TI-85 file types will be
: supported, but I'm not sure.
:
: Within the next day or two I'll be done with my "TI RAM Expansion
: FAQ."
:
: -Mel
: