Re: LZ: I feel sorry for them

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: I feel sorry for them

Alan Bailey wrote:

> Mel Tsai wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:22:54 -0700, you wrote:
> > >At 07:16 PM 10/9/96 -0800, you wrote:
> > >
> > >I too was the first zsheller at my school. Being the big corp that they are
> > >I don't think TI will publish on the back of the calc boxes (which is really[...]
> > Yep, it became a daily ritual for me last year to walk by the physics
> > class and see literally 10 people all playing super breakout or tetris
> > or my game, columns.  I think programmers like myself should be
> > arrested for "contributing to the dilinquency of a minor."  It somehow
> > gives me a twisted satistfaction that I'm responsible for hundreds of
> > students screwing up a math test because they weren't paying attention
> > in class![...]
> That might be one of the reasons TI doesn't like it.  So far, they have
> seen a multitude of games for zshell, but hardly any math apps.  TI wants
> the 85 to be a calculator, not a gameboy.  Parents who buy them also want
> it to be a calculator, so parents might be turned away.

The real reason is because handheld computers are banned on college board tests. The TI-85 is currently
approved for use on college board tests, and it would take a significant slice out of TI's business if
people had to go buy HP calculator instead, since the 82 and 83 don't even come close to the 85.