> > From: Ryan Myers <rmyers@teleport.com>
> > To: list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org
> > Subject: Re: LZ: Programming cells?
> > Date: Friday, October 04, 1996 12:29 AM
> >
> > Hello Mike,
> >
> >         I think the term you mean instead of cell is sprite.
> >
> >         There are two ways to do this.  The first involves staying in
> text
> > mode, and in my mind isn't worth it.  The other way is to use a sprite
> > routine ( I would reccommend NASR by Jingyang Xu ).  The pros and cons:
> >

> No I didn't mean sprite.  I know how those work.  What I want is a way to
> define the screen as a grid of say 8*8 chunks and then be able to say I
> want this cell a wall graphic, this other one a bush, this one a door....
> ect.  But I don't want to just display it time and time again with NASR.
> Jimmmy Mardell might be able to help me because of the way he wrote
> Boulder Dash (BTW, great game!).  Every level is set up with cells and he
> defined where he wanted boulders and where he wanted walls.  That is what
> I want help with. Not sprites!
>
>                                                 Mike Johnson
>                                                 MJ11749@cedarnet.org

I think you're talking about pictures that are spaced every 8 pixels,
right?  Those are simple because you don't need a sprite routine to check
the bit number and display it bit by bit.  So just have apointer to each
graphic you want.  These should be 8 bytes for 8*8.  Now if you wanted a
routine to have a x value(0-15) and y value(0-7), and convert it to the
correct vidmem pointer, that wouldn't be too hard.  But then after that
it would be simple.  (That's what you're talking about, right)
<pre>
--
Compliments of: