Re: LZ: RS-232 & RS-422 Standards

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: RS-232 & RS-422 Standards

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, C Kuethe wrote:

> >   Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out more about the
> > RS-232 & RS-422 protocols?  I'm trying to connect the $4 link to my MAC,
> > and though I have found info from Apple on the Mac serial-port pinout, my
> > best efforts have turned up nothing on the actual protocol (Mac uses
> > RS-422 while PCs and most other systems use RS-232).

The primary problem has nothing to do with the protocol or the number of
pins, and everything to do with the way the Mac handles hardware access.
(i.e. it doesn't let you control the logic levels of the individual port
lines unless you hack the hardware directly (which virtually assures you
that it won't work on any other model of Mac).)

-Isaac

<pre>
--
Isaac Salpeter