Re: LZ: Should I buy an 85 (zshell) or an 83 for asm?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

John M. Hughes wrote:

> > >The 83 is not better than the 85.  It is very similar to the 82, It just
> > >has some cool stat features.  Definately go for the 85.
> >
> > Yes, but the 83 has built in asm support.  I understand it is similar to the
> > 82, which I already have.  I'm not really interested as much in the math
> > features as I am in which one will be the best for asm programming.  Right
> > now, it's the 85, but what I'm interested in knowing is which one will be
> > the best for asm once the 83 becomes established.  In other words, which one
> > has the most potential.  Right now, I'm definitely leaning toward the 85.
> > Also, I know several people at school who also have the 85, so that's a
> > definite plus.  I just wish that I had originally gotten an 85 (I got an 82
> > two years ago because it was required for my school, then I found out they
> > let students substitute the 85 for the requirement).  For the math features
> > (solver, etc, etc.) the 85 is definitely far better than the 83 (or the 82
> > for that matter).  What we need is the "TI-84", a combination of the 83 and
> > 85 (tables, better stats, 85 solver, built in asm support, custom, etc. all
> > in one calc).  I assume that the 82 will be discontinued.  Does anyone know
> > any info on this?
>
> Three more reasons to get the 85:  Most people have an 85 rather than an
> 83.  The 83 is not likely to become extremely popular.

Huh?  Well, that could be because it just came out.  Also, there are more people
with 82s than with 85s.  I think the 83 WILL become more popular, simply because
it is easier to use (easy menus, user friendly).  The 83 is VERY likely to become
popular.  Even before it was officially released, 3 different people at my school
had one.

> according to TI,
> the 83 has "limited" asm support.

Meaning they only provided for a little support.  Hey didn't give ANY asm support for
the 85.  The Zshell team had to do all the work with the 85.

I still think the 85 would be better for the person who understands computers a little
better, though.  It has more capabilities.

andyS