Re: LZ: Teleconferece

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Teleconferece

> > > Now, we believe that if several TIs are set on the same freq that they
> > > should be able to comunicate together at once.
> > >
> > > .. snip ..
> > >
> > > Now I am not sure if this will work or not since (to my knowledge no
> > > RT-LiNKS have been made by anyone but the author) no one has made 4 to work
> > > together.
> >
> > This should not work.  The TI does not use a signal that would allow for
> > this.  It is instead a simple on off type of signal designed for two
> > calculator use.  Simply putting more on the same freqs would not be any
> > more successful than putting splitters on the regular link cable.
>
> Well, with the standard system routines, this would be correct, but I'm
> sure it'd be possible to create some type of networking software in
> assembly where each calc handles the incoming signal depending on where
> it's coming from -- it'd require a lot of synchronization and thought,
> obviously,  and I don't know if you'd be able to have it recognize it
> when a new calc joins without telling each calc explicitly, but it should
> be able to be done to handle multiple calcs as long as the programming's
> right, right?

Or even neater, you could have the 'network' card
microcontroller-based and let that tranlate between wahtever network
protocol you'd liek to use and teh standard TI-85 routines... It'd be
a little more expensive, and quit a bot harder to do, but it would
mean that the network could also work on TI-82's as well...
(You could add the capability to the card so that assembly programs
could access the network directly or some such thing, so to increase
upgradability..)

As for a network protocol : you could use an ethernet-type protocol
(i.e. when a calc wants to communicate with another calc, it sends
out a message that all the othere calcs 'hear' which asks if the
otehr calc is out there, somewhere, and if it is, it responds...)
or we could use a TCP/IP type protocol and have a namesever, in which
case, the transmitting calc looks up the other calc in the nameserver
and then get's it no. and then tries to communicate with it
directly..)

I'm really not sure how implementable this is over a radio link...

Of course, we could always use I2C......

Rob Taylor MAIL - mailto:rtaylor@rtaylor.u-net.com
           WEB  - http://www.u-net.com/~rtaylor/