Re: LZ: link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: link

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Tim Lee wrote:

> Can someone tell me what .uue files are?

UU stands for Unix to Unix.  Mail is automatically UUencoded by the UUCP
(Unix to Unix Copy Protocol).  It encodes 8bit binary data (zip files,
programs, pics, sounds,etc) as 7bit ASCII (plain-ish text) so it can easily
and "safely" pass through email gateways. ".uue" means a file is uuencoded,
and you need to uudecode it to use the file inside.  There are many free-
/share- ware proggies to do uucoding.  On ticalc lists we uuencode zip files
so we can post them w/ out losing data...

BTW... don't try to uudecode my sig... it won't work.

--
Chris Kuethe <ckuethe@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> LPGV Electronics and Controls
http://www.ualberta.ca/~ckuethe/