Re: LZ: get more ram?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: get more ram?

list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org wrote:

> At 4:47 PM on 8/30/96, Michael Berry wrote:
>
> > Do you think there is any way to add ram to the ti-85 via the link port.
> > Possibly someone could develop plans for an external ram source that plugs
> > into the link port.  It might take a lot of tricky asm programming to get
> > the ti to read from the port.  If it was possible it could add a whole new
> > realm of possibilities to ti programming.
>
> I have a short story related to memory upgrading.
>
> There is a sophomore at my high school who has done many hardware upgrades
> to his TI-85. I don't doubt his expertise at electronics-he has a turbo
> switch and is an ham radio operator. Today he told me he upgraded his
> memory by adding a chip. I didn't catch how he did it but he used the word
> "parallel". There was nothing on the link port. On examining his
> calculator, there was a string variable named "B" with a size of about 50
> K. This is where the extra memory was. He said a assembly program could
> access this memory.
>
> "Great," you say. "So how did he do it?"
>
> That's the problem. This kid is a little wierd. He has his calculator
> password-protected so nobody "steals" his games. He also says he
> "link-locks" his programs so they can't be copied. To put it simply, his
> line of thinking is the opposite of a classic "hacker"--he HATES the "free
> flow of information." He wants to charge for everything, and he has no
> intention of supplying information on his memory upgrade. Incidentally, he
> also plans to make a working wireless link "just for himself."
>
> Anyways, if this is for real, someone else may want to look into this more.
> Can this memory be used for something? He wasn't using it when I looked at
> his calc, he just said it COULD be used.
>
> On the other hand, he could have put one over on me with a fake memory
> screen of something. Thins was my inital instinct, being the cynical person
> that I am.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
>  ____________________________________
> /\                                   \
> \ \  Jordan Adema                O-   \       A student who changes the
>  \ \  jadema@grfn.org                  \         course of history is
>   \ \  http://www.calvin.edu/~sadema21/ \      probably taking an exam.

Yeah, um. It can be done of course. But in order to have a var named B,
you need to burn a new rom. (hehe, sound fun anyone?) I suppose you could
hack right into the bus of the calc. My question is, does he have
anything on the outside of the calc? It would be pretty hard to put chips
in the inside of the calc.

Also, if you went through all that work, youd be pretty stupid to make
the var named B. If i use B in my program, and he runs it, what happens?