Re: LZ:83 ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ:83 ASM

> > > actaually there is a need for a sehll on teh ti-83.. teh code is
> > > stored in ascii representation which makes code at least twice as
> > > large as it needs to be (although it does let you edit it using teh
> > > program editor)
> > > there is a need for a shell program that will 'compress' a program
> > > into a binary file, and 'uncompress it' back to ascii representation
> > > when it is run..
> > >

> > Ok, that makes a bit more sense...but wouldn't a program that does it
> > be easier than writing a shell that does it....
>

> A shell will make it transparent to the user.  They can just run
> the program and not have to think about compressing and decompressing.
> Also, I think there'll be some other advantages to a shell.  While
> playing around with the little program I'm working on I thought of
> a couple of things.  I haven't had a chance to touch it for a couple
> of weeks so I don't remember what they are now.

problem with a shell.. you'd have exacly the same problems as zshell
as for _where_you run teh programs from... (as far as i know, theres
no way fro an assembelr program to call anotehr assembelr program,
and you can't copy to the start of memory for thousands of obvios
reasons..

> There are all kinds of ways to do it.  A shell isn't essential.  But
> I think it'll be a good approach.  And this should be a pretty small
> shell.  It'll need to manage the files and compress and decompress.
> RLL compression is pretty simple and doesn't need a lot of code.
> Huffman encoding would be better but take more code.  It just might
> save more space than it needs, though.  I've never written a Huffman
> routine, but I think I know where there some Z80 source for one.  If
> anyone is interested in it, let me know and I'll see if I can locate
> it.
>
> By the way, for the code thiefs among us (such as me) is everyone
> aware that there is a huge collection of CP/M Z80 and 8080 source
> code on oak.oakland.edu in (I think) /pub/cpm?  If you haven't
> seen it you'll be amazed at how much there is.  Most of the programs
> wouldn't be worth porting to the TI, but some might be.  But there
> are all sorts of routines there that can be used, such as the
> compression routines and graphic algorithms for 3d animation, etc.
> It's worth looking at.

i'll certainly take a look.. I think i've got soem code for an
assemberl from there, but I don't think I'll have time for a while..

Rob Taylor MAIL - mailto:rtaylor@ticalc.org
           WEB  - http://www.u-net.com/~rtaylor/

Follow-Ups: References: