Re: LZ: outputting to string

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: outputting to string

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Keith Batten wrote:

> I'm currently working on a zshell program and I need to know how to create
> a string variable and output to it. I was wondering, do I have to output
> it to a current string or can I create a new string from within my
> zshell program? how could I do this?

In ZShell 4.0 you cannot create new strings. If you do, there is a large
risk that the calculator will crash!!!
This has been adressed in ZShell 4.5.

So. You have 2 choices:
1) Wait for ZShell 4.5 (release date unknown - depends on how much time I
   can put into it)

Or, since you probably don't want to wait:
2) Modify a string that exists.
NOTE! You may NOT change the size of the string! Just modify data that
already exists in it!

To do this, use RST 10h to find the location of the string, and then just
tweak the memory around.
Warning! Do NOT assume that the string stays fixed in memory between
program runs. While your program is running, it WILL stay fixed. But as
soon as you exit from your program, there is a large chance that it will
be moved to another location.

//Magnus