Re: LZ: zshell questions...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: zshell questions...

On Sun, 4 Aug 1996 04:17:56 +0000 "Ryan C. Braun" <rbraun@mwci.net>
writes:
>> Is that necessarily true?  Isn't the link port's speed somewhat
regulated?  I was able to >write a program on the 82 a few years ago in
TI BASIC.
> The 82  BASIC has a send variable feature which I used in the second
>delay.  Granted,  it's no atomic clock, but it was only off by about a
>second every nine minutes.  Could something like this not also be
>implemented in ZSHELL?  Do we have another cause for "82 envy"?  Or am I
simply
>a fool?
>
>Likewise, maybe I am the fool, but I believe the problem stems from
>the fact that, as mentioned previously, the clock is not regulated
>via crystal, etc, but by capacitor, which varies with batteries, so
>sped can never come close to being guaranteed.
>
>Ryan

My mistake.  I was basing my argument upon a letter in the list-zshell
archive which said that the link port " regulates it (data transfer) at
a steady 9600 bps." This has since proven to be untrue.  Also, my
program was probably never tested in varying battery conditions.
(However if it did work, it would be a neat way to make a constant delay
for both accelerated and non-accelerated calcs.)  Oh well.

Corey Roussel
man-in-the-moon@juno.com