Re: LZ: ZShell and Internet

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: ZShell and Internet

At 06:14 PM 8/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, greg wrote:
>
>> 	Secondly, I want to share my thoughts on how we could POSSIBLY connect our
>> calculators to the internet. The problem with my plan though, is that it
>> would require working RT-links. The way the setup would go is that you
>> little programs for the computer that would read data from the internet and
>> translate it into binary so it could send it to the calculator. The
>> calculator would then have a program to receive the info and display it on
>> the lcd.
>> 	For instance, you could make an irc program for your computer that would
>> do all of the work (formatting, etc) and basically send a stream of text to
>> the calculator. The stream of text would be a clone of what was being
>> displayed on the computer. This way, the only thing the calculator would
>> have to do is display the text it receives from its host, the computer. By
>> using this method, the program on the calculator would be quite small
>> (since basically all it is is a text viewer), yet would be quite powerful
>> (since the computer at home is doing all of the work). I feel that if we
>> ever get REAL working RT-links, this plan would be entirely feasible and
>> quite easy to accomplish. Of course the RT-links would have to be able to
>> transmit a fair distance. Hope you people understand what i'm trying to get
>> across to you.
>
>The distance is a BIG problem.  You could theoretically transmit it from your
>comp to your calc, but the other way, you won't have quite enough power most
>probably (unless you're just going to your backyard...).  I think IRC isn't
>qute feasible, because the 85 doesn't have a big enough display (Unless you use
>the small font, maybe, but it's harder to read...).  Maybe a lynx-like thing,
>to format it to 21x8, but that's pretty complicated.  I could almost see it
>happening, except:
>
>1)  The calc to computer transmission is gonna be too underpowered
>2)  The display on the 85 is teeny
>3)  The calc isn't very fast, and the link to the i-net won't be either
>
>and surely a few other things I can't think of, but I would love to see it
>happen.

I think that until you have a radio link that can reach over 75-100 feet the
idea is useless, if you are 50ft away from a computer why not use it ?
After the 100ft mark it then becomes a good idea becasue you could be down
the hall from this computer and not in the same area, so therefore it would
be needed.  It's a case of the technology not being able to preform the
needed tasks for this idea.
-Bill