[A83] Re: App contest

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: App contest

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 09:19:13AM -0700, Aaron St.John wrote:
> >>What about Zork ? Why doesn't anyone port zork ? :-(
>
> >Screen size. You can't get anywhere near 80x24 on a TI screen. The
> >engine itself isn't hard, there are emulators for them, IIRC.
>
> Screen size?  That's the worst ecsuse I've ever heard!  There's no reason
> the screen needs to be 80x24, it's just text!  I'm guessing the main reason
> is that it would be a pain in the ass to enter text and play, and the large
> ammount of RAM needed.

It's not irrevelevent; trying to display a useful amount of text,
legibly, and (as you pointed out) interact with the user using strings,
is not easy on the smaller screens. It might be doable on the -92, but I
wouldn't bother on the others.

I ran into this while writing an ebook reader for the 83+; it just
wasn't worth doing when a palm or ebookman is relatively cheap.

R C