[A83] Re: CRT (was SDCC port)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: CRT (was SDCC port)

>Libraries are a hassle. Although a nice concept, it's annoying to have to
>go find another lib to get some program working. I once did it and was told
>to get rid of them.

I think the benifits of having a shared CRT outweighs the hassle.  If C
programs become common, a lot of space could be wasted by duplicate code.
For example, printf takes up about 500 bytes of code.  If every program
included acopy of printf, that's a lot of wasted space, we we don't have
much room for on the TI-83.

One thing in our favor here is that the CRT's interface is standardized, so
even if there was more than one version of the CRT, you could still expect a
program to function correctly.

One idea is to create a dynamically linked library and a statically linked
library, and see which one wins out in the end, but that would be a lot of
work.

Stupid like a fox!
Look ma, I'm an artist: http://aaronstj.deviantart.com