[A83] Re: something to talk about

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: something to talk about

> Actually, the fastest way to scroll is to redraw the entire screen at once using shift tables.  This is what Crashman's scrolling routine does.  He measured his routine to get 106.2 FPS.  It is that fast because it combines the drawing with the display refresh (actually my idea :)  I said, instead of wasting cycles waiting for the display controller, why not use the time to draw the map?  And he managed to make it work.  It is amazingly fast.

Okay, but what if you have sprites that move independently above the
scrolling background? You can make a scrolling background in 20-30k
cycles (I haven't counted it though). To maintain 15 fps, you have 400k
cycles per frame. Subtracting the fastcopy time too, you still have 320k.
Not bad.

BTW I was thinking about putting the link communications into the
fastcopy instead of the delays. I'm not sure though whether I really gain
time by doing so (if I want to have a foolproof linking routine with
proper error detection). It should be worked out properly.
--
http://fastmail.fm - The holy hand grenade of email services