[A83] Re: Compilation

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Compilation

The only shell worth programming for on the 85 is Rigel.  Compiling for it
is easy.  Use the included batch file with TASM.  There are docs included
with it that show how to layout a program.

You want to use Rigel because it is the only shell that provides fixed
address relocation.  This is why I chose Rigel when I ported the latest
version of Joltima to the 85 and 86.  It took less than an hour total to
port to both (thanks to Joltima being very portable), and the 85 port
actually took less time than the 86 port.  Using any of the other shells
that use silly relocation schemes would have been a nightmare.

Programming for the 86 is easy.  Use Clem's include files, include
ti86asm.inc at the top of the program, and set the starting address (using
.org) to _asm_exec_ram:

http://jonah.ticalc.org/include.zip

Programs can be compiled using Assembly Studio 8x or TASM.  If using TASM,
the binary file will have to be converted to 86P format.  This can be done
using Bin2Var:

http://david.acz.org/prog/bin2var.zip

The current shell for the 82 is CrASH.  It is easy to program for CrASH.
Use the batch file that is included in the SDK with TASM.  There is also a
new shell in beta, called ACE.  As ACE is not completely finished and does
not run CrASH programs, it might be wise to write programs that can be
compiled under both.  CrASH does not support ROM version 19.006, and likely
never will.

> Does anybody have a collection of docs about how to compile
> programs for all of the z80 calcs? I intend to add a
> complete compilation section to my guide, but I fear I
> would pick the wrong pieces of information as I only know
> the 83 from practice. I'd like to know what utilities you
> need and how the source should be formatted.

Follow-Ups: References: