[A83] Re: Assembly Studio 8x [OT++]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Assembly Studio 8x [OT++]

> Van: David Phillips <david@acz.org>
>
> > btw, the well known crashing-problem of Win9x sucks, but that's not the
> > only thing. Just crawl a bit around in your Windows and win-setup
> > directory, read the INF files, read about anything that's readable. I
> > can't imagine that NT5 is that much better without getting major
> > compatibility problems for all strange ways you can (and Micros~1 does)
> > use to acces anything on the system. Especialy the INF files have much
> > win3.x legacy.
> > And the improvement of Win3.x was the graphical interface. What I'm
> > talking about is files and such, so it's probably even from Win2.0...
> > (?1982-85?)
>
> NT isn't unstable.  If you have good hardware with good drivers, it will
> run for months.

Oh, emh, off coarse, didn't think of problems hardware at all, erm...

> One of the big reasons that people have their computer crash every day is
> due to bad hardware and bad drives.  And installing tons of programs that
> make the system unstable.  I never have a problem with 2000 that isn't
> directly related to hardware or something I did.

I know, for instance it's probably my soundcard that cause crashes on this
machine. It's a sucking "Soundblaster 16 compatible" soundcard, Trouper
4x4, in case you're interested. I need to boot winDOwS before it does
anything under Linux...

I think I'll buy a Soundblaster 1024 for it when I buy a new machine, so I
can use the old one as an MP3 player or something. Might run Creatures or
FinFin on it as a living wallpaper, but I'll see. Anyone knows a good (and
I don't mean loud) boxes-set?