[A83] Re: Assembly Studio 8x [OT]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Assembly Studio 8x [OT]

> Van: David Phillips <david@acz.org>
>
> The command processor that comes with NT (cmd.exe) is pretty decent.  It
> has real scrolling, copy/paste, etc., much like an xterm.  If you keep
> thinking Windows sucks and all you've used is the consumer line (95, 98,
> ME),

ME? Bleh...

> then do yourself a big favor and switch to NT.  Personally, I'd much
> rather use Windows 2000 than Linux for a day to day desktop OS (though
> I'd really like to try OS X).

Do you have an old copy of NT then? Something that runs on a P100 with 40mb
RAM? :-)

I think I'll buy a new PC late summer...

My favourite is still Win98SE Lite, and then follows your list. Win95 OSR
2.1 is also very stable. Know someone who runs at work a P266 with about as
much RAM (that probably does it) as (mega-)clock-cycles. He uses about only
MS-Office97, MS Internet Mail and News (no viruses), Seti and off coarse..
IE.

Guess the machine has every needed patch, as far as I can judge their
system-operator. Since they switched to a new virusscanner that doesn't
need to reboot at an update his machine runs for a few weeks now.

> Alternatively, install Cygwin and the OpenSSH server on your Windows box.
> Then use PuTTY to SSH into it.  For some reason, Cygwin uses the NT
> command interpreter, instead of it's own terminal emulator.  And it
> sucks.  The terminal emulation is all screwed up.

Same on Win9x, it just uses Winoa386.mod, the "DOS-emulation window".

BTW, I AM searching for a DOS-emu, since that would probably be more
stable. When the DOS program crashes / loops / whatever it isn't running in
the same process, like with the DOS-window now.

> PuTTY is much, much better.

I'll take a look at that option.

	Henk Poley <><