[A83] Re: Assembly Studio 8x

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Assembly Studio 8x

At 20:46 2002-06-10, you wrote:
> > >Just while we are at the subject, does somebody know a DOS emu for
>Windows
> > >with scrollbars similar to xterm? I miss it to be able to scroll back...
> > >
> > >I've heard of some 'crappy' system where you would you a VI port to pipe
> > >the command prompt to. But there must be a easier possibility.
> > >
> > >         Henk Poley <><
> >
> > dos emu? you must mean a different shell then the command.com or cmd.exe
> > that comes with windows.
>
>Erm as far as I know there's not somthing as sophisticated as these xterm
>windows (and I do not only mean the visual 'outside'). You can't start a
>'command.com' terminal or something. There's some program (winoa386.mod)
>that gives some abstraction layer for the DOS-program to be 'inside'.

what on earth are you talking about really? :)
an xterm is a terminal window, has nothing to do with commands and running
stuff really. its just a visual interface that pipe output from other
programs that run in textmode such as bash (for a shell prompt) so you can
easily display it in an X environment.
from your first confused mail, I thought you wanted a replacement for the
standard "command prompt" to be found in all windowses.
4nt and 4dos provides this.

> > There is one I like, that is called 4dos or 4nt (for win9x or nt/xp/2000
> > respectivly)
> > In that command shell you can specify how big scrollback you want. (and a
>
> > lot more, has had tab completion for a long time)
> > You find it at http://jpsoft.com/
> > It has replaced my shells for dos and windows since 94 or something.
> > Unfortunatly, it is not free.
>
>These were (and are) "DOS-extenders" they provide services that are not
>within MS-DOS. Most of them (memory stuff) are given by Windows nowadays.
>4DOS is/was frequently used by games. But, I'll take a look at it.

They where replacements for command.com, and still is. Which added features
ofcourse, but mostly on the human interface level.
You confuse it with stuff like dos4gw that enabled programs to use the full
capabilities of 386 processors and above (like flat memory model and easy
access to the ram above 640K)
But you where right at the end anyway. I thought the feature of scrollback
in my 4nt prompt was a 4nt feature, but it wasn't. It was as you said a
win2k feature.

///Olle