[A83] Re: ZPic83 compression

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: ZPic83 compression

> Van: Nat Allan <nallan@hotkey.net.au>
>
> Yeah, i was thinking of giving a RLE compressor a shot after i finish my
> current project, but ive got a bad feeling it would end up in my 'Failed'
> directory along with the rest of em...
>
> How efficient is ZPic83 compression?  Is it better than plain RLE?

I guess it's a lot better than RLE on most pictures. RLE is just a system
that marks repeated bytes, so:

$12,$12,$12,$12,$12

will be stored as [special byte],$05,$12. Since these repetitions are not
very rare in monchrome pictures you can use it to compress it. But you can
see that there are lots of possibilities that wouldn't compress at all.

	Henk Poley <><