[A83] Re: Applications...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Applications...

> > Devpac8x is not a linker...
>
> Doesn't Devpac8x take the compiled binary or obj or whatever it may be
and
> turn it into a program (*.8xp)?  I'm pretty sure that makes it a linker..

A linker links two object files. The "*.obj" files outputted by TASM are
not object-files they are not relocatable they do not contain any info
about the adresses of the rotoutines it contains, it's just the binary-file
which can be executed. (not to be mistaken by the incorrect meaning of
"binary" as executable program, frequently used on *nix systems).

Devpack8x, Devpack83 and bin2var are all programs that just add the TIGL
(Ti Graph Link) header to the binary-file, nothing more nothing less.

*Real* linkers take at least one file, read out the relocation-data it
contains and write out a binary-file or a direct executable. When the
linker finds references to routines or data that are not in the file it
will search in the other files you gave to find the routine/data. This will
go on untill a link are resolved.

	Henk Poley <><