[A83] Re: AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mail is much easier to deal with than a message board.  Most message boards
suck.  There isn't a single free message board available that I like.
Allaire used to have a really nice threaded message board available (cost a
lot) that they used for their support forums.  I worked up a nice clone of
it in PHP.  Everyone seems to like vBulletin style boards.  Flat boards like
that just don't work well when you have a lot of posts in a single thread.
Slashdot and ticalc.org style comment boards work, but they aren't useful
for a general discussion board.  Maybe I should redo my message board to
have templates, international support and more configuration options and
release it...

News groups work just as well as message boards, in the sense that you can
ignore threads you don't like.  If it bugs you so much, why don't you setup
a mail to news gateway, so that you can browse the list with your favorite
news client (which should support threading)?

Another option is to use a mail client that supports threading.  Some
clients which have this feature include KMail, Sylpheed and Mutt.  Email
clients should add a "References" header to email messages, which allows
mail clients to display messages in a threaded format, just as most news
clients display news in a threaded format.  Just because your mail client
lacks features that you want doesn't mean that the medium (this mailing
list) is bad.