[A83] Re: VoyageT_200 [OT]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: VoyageT_200 [OT]

If you just wanted to click a couple of times in the installer, you'd be
using Windows.  Hardware autodetection?  Real men don't need that.  If you
didn't want to fuss with it all, of course, you'd have been smart and bought
a Mac.

I agree with you, Debian's installer could use some work.  Not that it's bad
or anything, but you really shouldn't have to fuss with hardware
installation.  Ideally, everything would just work from the get go, and you
wouldn't need to ever tough it.  This should really be handled by the
kernel.  And from the way Linus talks, this is the way Linux is headed in
the future.  Debian's installer will be better with Woody, the next release.
A lot of people complain about dselect.  My advice is that when you get to
that point, just exit out, and install what you want with apt-get.  You'll
likely upgrade to testing or unstable, so you'll be reinstalling (upgrading)
all the packages again anyway (this is automatic, but can take some time).
If you understand basic stuff like what a partition is, and what hardware
you have, Debian is easy to install.  And it's nice, because it's straight
forward and gives you a lot of control.  It doesn't cause you to do things
like format the wrong partition, because the GUI is confusing (i.e.
Mandrake).

Oh, and more than likely you do NOT need to download all three ISO's.  In
fact, even one is overkill.  Since you have a connection fast enough,
download the first one, and do a network install.  Or even better, grab the
netinst ISO:

http://markybobdeb.sourceforge.net/elf/

> > I've heard *really* good things about Debian, and I'm downloading the 3
ISOs
> > for it right now :)..www.kernel.org has a nice connection (mirror I'm
> > downloading from)..All three are going really fast.  I'm going to try it
out
> > tomorrow.
>
> Hmm, the install procedure is what stopped me from using deb...

Follow-Ups: References: