[A83] Re: Stupid Idea?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Stupid Idea?

At 12:01 AM 12/15/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>I totally agree with David Phillips' idea... if you've ever tried to make an
>OS .. or read around.. you will have noticed that making a floppy driver is
>loads more complicated than IDE and ATAPI.... and all of these would require
>"mobile" parts, heads .... which usually require lots more electrical energy
>to operate than silicon storage ... but a way you could make it interface
>with the pc is easy: make the main "box" have a minijack socket, so to
>connect ot the calc you use unit-2-unit cable, and you could also plug it
>directly to a graphlink, and have a PC prog to send/rec from the  "box"...
>if you make it good enough, you can make it fake being a ti calc (83?) so
>tigraphlink/ticonnect could be used to manage the files...

Hmmm.  I think that there was a memory project that had TI emulation over
the link port, but I forget the name.  Anyway, adding in PC connectivity
over a standardized interface sounds cool.  The other option is to use
something like a USB key.  If you had a USB jack and a bit of stuff to
drive the jack and provide the removable storage protocol, you'd have
low-power, non-mechanical storage for the TI.  It might even run off the
calc power (a usb key will run from the unpowered ports on a usb keyboard .
. .) Might be a bit too complicated, tho.  I think that a microcontroller
that can do a TI link is the best low-cost solution.  I believe that Sami's
project was along those lines.

Follow-Ups: References: