[A83] Re: Fwd: RE: TI-OS replacement

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Fwd: RE: TI-OS replacement

> Van: Gavin Olson <gtolson@comcast.net>
>
> At 06:41 PM 12/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>
>> But, shells and operating systems are very different by definition...
>> For example, Windows XP is my operating system on this computer, but I
>> run a Linux shell (Cygwin).
>> I would expect Texas Instruments to get this right, being a company....
>> Is it possible that there ARE some actual operating systems?
>
> XP with a non-ms shell?  Thats unique.  That default XP shell is kinda
> heavy though.

Cygwin is a shell that emulates most parts of the Linux/POSIX syste, under
Windows. Programs (re)compiled for it will run as if it were on linux
(that's the theory at least).

Cygwin is mostly a text based shell, but there's also a X11 server in the
package. Normaly you don't run Cygwin as "the shell" just as a console
windows.

	Henk Poley <><