[A83] Re: Fwd: RE: TI-OS replacement

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Fwd: RE: TI-OS replacement

> Van: robvanwijk@gmx.net
>
> That backdoor has already been found:
> http://www.detachedsolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=240&start=240
> look for post number six, or Ctrl+F for "It works!".

<flamebait type="do not react overheated, plz">
Dûh, that's what this thread on [A83] started...
</flamebait>

> Hypothetical question: if some judge would demand TI to allow third party
> OSes, put TI is incapable of doing this, (because they can't change the
> boot code, and there is no way around the verification (there is, that's
> why it's hypothetical)), would that mean that TI had to offer a new,
> third-party-OS-capable calc to everyone who sends in his old, TI-OS-only
> calc? (Sorry for the bad formulation, I hope you understand what I mean.)
>
> Rob van Wijk

Ehm... find a lawyer who would like to take a quick look at this 'pro deo'.
I guess that's up to exact letter of the law...

But in my opinion it could have been the case. That "hack" that has been
found is  the backdoor. Or stated otherwise, even if this is a accidental
bug, it works, so Ti doesn't have to replace the calcs. Off coarse they do
need to announce it officaly by themselves (doesn't need to be loud
screaming, a simple howto on their site is enough).