[A83] Re: Stupid Idea?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Stupid Idea?

Henk Poley wrote:

>>Van: Thomas Lutz <tlutz@stevens-tech.edu>
>>
>>Would designing an external Compact Flash drive for TI Calcs be a stupid
>>idea? I think it would be kind of cool...Maybe not all that useful, but
>>cool. Compact Flash cards speak PCMCIA as well as True IDE, so in theory
>>the drive would work with any standard Hard Disk....
>>

>Well, you can get a maximum of about 9600 bits/sec through the link-port.
>Half-duplex... You could get a tad bit higher maybe by using "bursts", just
>a read- or write-loop and checking is done afterwards.
>
>	Henk Poley <><

Can't you go quite a lot faster then that?
I thought only the gray link had the 9600 limit, since it had some
circuitry to be rs232 compatible.
Black links and homemade links are not rs232 (they just use the same
port, but does not follow rs232 protocol)
So they can go faster.
At least the 89 can go quite a bit faster, I think somewhere around 30Kbit.
The 83 should be able to go quite a bit faster then 9600 too.
The TI link protocol does not specify speed, it is a syncronous serial
link, so you can go as fast as the hardware can handle.

Still not very fast for a HD, but at least a bit better then 9600 :)

-- Olle

Follow-Ups: References: