[A83] Re: Color Calculators

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Color Calculators

> This is a grossly butchered version of the truth.

I tried to make a long and complicated story a little shorter. Sorry if I
oversimplified matters.

> 1) The email TI sent us was in regards to telling the world how to write
> to the flash with no modifications to the current OS.

The mail from that Herb Foster guy Michael posted referred to calc83p
suggesting a modification (taking finance out). As far as I understood
they didn't tell (and refuse to answer when asked) what they think
about Michael writing his own OS. Because the only way of installing
Michael's OS is telling everybody how to circumvent the OS validation,
the total project can't be completed, because an integral part of it is
not possible to do.

> 2) The circumvention requires no modification of any copyrighted
> material. But does require the copying of _two bytes_ of "copyrighted"
> data at a key location.

Wasn't it the Sega system that would only run a program if it had the
ascii-values of "SEGA" at some location? Sega lost that lawsuit, so I'd
expect those two bytes don't matter (unless it's a digital signature of
course, but then it wouldn't be just two bytes).

> So, TI said we could go to hell if we told anyone how to circumvent the
> flash protection but didn't say anything about making an OS that
> validated properly.

For an OS to validate properly, the signature has to be correct, which
will happen in two cases: TI signs it (not gonna happen), or you forge
it (not gonna happen and illegal). Also, Michael isn't circumventing the
Flash protection, is he? I understood he worked around the validation.

> --
> Scott Dial
> scott@scottdial.com
> AIM GeekMug : ICQ# 3608935