From: assembly-83-bounce@lists.ticalc.org
[mailto:assembly-83-bounce@lists.ticalc.org] On Behalf Of David Phillips
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 8:04 PM
To: assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org
Subject: [A83] Re: debuggers / simulated com ports

VTI does exactly what you are talking about.  How do you think it loads
all
the variables correctly?  Most previous emulators had hacks that would
modify the calculator memory images to load programs.  But VTI does it
correctly by actually sending the variables to the calculator.  This
assures
that it will always work, even if things change between ROM versions.
This
is why on calcs without silent linking (82, 85, 92) you have to be in
receive mode to receive variables from VTI.

I don't remember if it sends as if from the graph link or from another
calculator.  But if it's from another calculator, then it would be
trivial
to change the code so that it sends from the graph link.  Just change
the
Machine ID byte.  For example, with the 86 code, you'd change 86h
(TI-86) to
06h (computer to TI-86).

You could also make something to interface with the virtual link.

> Do any of the calc emulators have simulated COM ports? For example, if
> sent a variable from Graph-Link to a VTI.. I know you can load
anything
> into VTI, but I am interested in the program simulating a COM port
graph
> link (grey one).

Follow-Ups: References: